ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] migrating data from LTO2 tapes to LTO3

2008-03-10 08:57:06
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] migrating data from LTO2 tapes to LTO3
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:56:33 -0500
.
This is not difficult.

1. Make sure that new data can be written to LTO3, via migration,
reclamation, DB Backup, etc. This must work, first.

2. Mark all the LTO2 tapes readonly.

3. Remove all LTO2 scratch tapes, and remove new ones as they are freed.
You might need these library slots to accomodate new LTO3 tapes anyway.

4. Now expiration, migration, and reclamation will start to do the job
for you, but that likely won't be fast enough. Help the process with
MOVE DATA.

A more complicated approach involves separate storage pools for the
different tape types. We're now doing this to move from SDLT to LTO4.
I've set the Reclamation Storage Pool for SDLT to be the LTO4 pool. Now
all I need to do to propel the process is to reduce the reclamation
threshold in the SDLT pool by 1-2 points every day.

               Academic Computing & Communications Center

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008, exclusiveright wrote:

>I have a new client is using TSM 5.3 and had 1 year ago moved from LTO2
tapes and drive to LTO3 tapes and drive.  The data has not been moved
from LTO2. To help the DR strategy we are putting in place I would like
to move all data from.  Both LTO3 drives and LTO2 drives are still
installed and usable.