ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Exchange monthly yearly

2008-03-10 08:37:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Exchange monthly yearly
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:36:32 -0500
I'm not sure if this is "Best" practice, but its what we do with our SQL
Servers and I imagine it would work with exchange..

We have three node names in three domains.
Exchange-exch (daily backups kept for 7 or 30 days for quick restores,
do a [first] Sunday full, then diffs the rest of the week [or month]).
Exchange-month (last Sat full backup with a 365 day retention).
Exchange-Annual(or year) (last Sunday of Dec. with 3650 days retention).

Each node would have its own schedule, and you have to work out the
conflict that will occur once a year with the Annual and the Exch node
on Sunday.  Of course you could do the annual on Monday after the diff
finishes.  If you do 30 day retention the conflict is easy to resolve
between the Weekly fulls.  Just do the monthly full on the first Sunday,
and the annual on the last, then schedule the last for after the
differential finishes.

The reason for the different domains is that it keeps it simple from a
management class assignment perspective.  Its easier not having to make
sure you adjust all that right in opt files and scripts.

As you can see you have options.  :-D

See Ya'
Howard