ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TDPSql emergency restore questions

2008-03-07 20:06:54
Subject: [ADSM-L] TDPSql emergency restore questions
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 17:06:16 -0800
We have a very old Windows NT 4 server that was using Client 5.1.5.15
and an old version of TDPSql that just crashed. The TDPSql version I'm
not sure of but was hoping the log files from the client will tell me.
I believe it goes way back to 2.2.1, maybe earlier. Not sure if anyone
knows if log files have the version listed or not. If they don't then,
without opening a case with IBM to get some answers, I was hoping if
anyone knew what is the safest way to get last night's sql backup
restored. It looks like it may need to be rebuilt from scratch.

Questions:

1.       Plan to restore the software install directory to a temp
directory to look at those files. Will they reveal anything? I think so
but am looking for help.

2.       What if we install an incorrect version of the SQL client and
try to connect and restore. What will happen, worst case (which I
obviously want to avoid at all costs if it will render the backups
useless)?

3.       Is there a 'safe' version of the client to install that will
restore these files?

Thanks for any help others might have.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator