ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] NAS Migration Problem

2008-03-07 08:17:46
Subject: [ADSM-L] NAS Migration Problem
From: rjohnso <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 08:17:11 -0500
Hello!
We need to migrate NAS data from EMC Celerra to IBM NS5200. The network
connection on the source is only 100 MB.  We tried copying using Robocopy on
CFS-mounted source and target filesystems using a Windows server.  The transfer
was painfully slow (about 60 GB in four days). There about about 10 million
files in the filesystem.

We then tried using TSM 5.3 to restore to the target from the source's NFS
mounted backup on AIX. This runs much faster (300 GB in 20 hours).  We aren't
using TSM NDMP backups yet.

We also have an issue syncing up our source and target after the restore since
the backup and restore time might not fit in our application downtime.

Anyone have experience migrating/copying NAS data with TSM or otherwise?