ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Fw: Naming conventions of PDs/MCs

2008-03-05 02:51:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Fw: Naming conventions of PDs/MCs
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT SPACE DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 08:51:18 +0100
Yes, keep them short, simple and exchangeable.
Sometimes you decide to migrate a node from one policy domain into a
different one. Then it's very convenient to have the same names for
the Mgmt-Classes as before.

In general we don't name the standard/default MC, it just stays
"standard" in any PD.
For MCs we often use names that reflect the settings for the main 4
parameters, like 3-2-30-60 or 2-1-7-7. We use "0" for the nolimit
value, like in 0-0-14-14.
In addition to this we have some short-forms like RET14 (=0-0-14-14),
sometimes we add a special MC name to make a customer happy.
And of course, sometimes it gets cryptic, when you need to put
additional information into the name, like in 4-3-50-80-SHDY (shared
dynamic).

If you have more than one TSM server, try to keep all PDs and MCs in
sync - makes moving nodes between servers much saver. Just imagine
what happens if the new server doesn't have the new longtime-
protecting special MC and you find out just after the restore request
arrives.

Best regards,
Michael