ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM dream setup

2008-02-26 18:23:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM dream setup
From: Ben Bullock <BBullock AT BCIDAHO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:22:51 -0700
In the "best practices" document from DataDomain
http://www.datadomain.com/pdf/GlassHouse-TSM-DataDomain-Whitepaper.pdf
and what other things I read, it sounded like the VTL "mimicry" is not
really needed in a TSM environment unless you are doing lan-free or NDMP
backups. This shop does neither, so there was no need to buy the VTL
option. I just made deviceclasses and storagepools and slipped it into
the storage pool hierarchy.

You are also dead on for the analysis. They recommend that you create
storagepools for the various types of data to keep track of what kind of
compression you are getting. In our case, it was "databases",
"fileservers" and "archives". Our installer said some folks go much more
granular, even as far a 1 storagepool per host, but I didn't want to
create a nightmare in storagepools, so I kept it simple.

 Each storage pool on the TSM server points to a different directory on
the DataDomain appliance, and the appliance can tell you what the
compression rates are: overall, for each filesystem on the appliance,
and even for each "FILE" the TSM server creates. With that data and a
drill-down using the "q content" command you can pick out the
uncooperative data.

Ben