ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Managed TSM server with different O/S

2008-02-19 17:26:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Managed TSM server with different O/S
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:24:56 -0500
At 03:40 PM 2/19/2008, Nancy R. Brizuela wrote:
Is it possible to manage a TSM configuration where a Configuration Manager
is, say AIX, and the Managed Server is, say Z/OS?

Yes, this should be possible.

Or is it possible to convert a database, used on an AIX server so that it
could
be used on a Z/OS server?

No, this won't work.  Even if you could, the tape media would not be readable.

If you (or others) want to be able to move a TSM database from one platform
to another (and point at the same tape media) let IBM know this.  I suspect
there are more and more sites who could use this (and we are one of
them).  IBM prioritizes development efforts based on their perception of
which new features are in highest demand by their customers (and potential
customers).

There are two parts to this problem:
1. Moving the database to a new platform
2. Being able to read media created on the old platform from the new platform
   (at least transitionally, if not long-term)

..paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521