ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Trying to add a 3494

2008-02-19 13:33:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Trying to add a 3494
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:31:40 -0500
On Feb 19, 2008, at 12:48 PM, Sam Sheppard wrote:

"The add LAN host to library operation failed"

Sam -

I haven't encountered that message myself, but my suspicion would be
that networking is not in place for the 3494 library manager to be
happy to honor the request.

As always, before trying to use a library with TSM, assure that it
can be accessed at the operating system level, where full diagnostics
can be pursued.  Use the mtlib command to verify access; and, before
that, assure accessibility via 'ping'.  The /etc/ibmatl.conf should
have the correct addressing.  Based upon decades of experience, my
first questions is always, "Is it plugged in?": make sure the
ethernet is connected to the industrial PC, and that the other end is
connected to the router/switch.  The PC should have been configured
for proper TCP/IP as well.

You are using a private net there, so may have issues intrinsic to
that kind of environment, with non-routing and firewalling, so take
that into account.  If trying to interact via network naming, assure
that there is DNS in place which will support that on the private
net; else use IP addresses.

   Richard Sims   at Boston University (not to be confused with
Boston College)