ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM dream setup

2008-02-14 20:33:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM dream setup
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:33:04 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Johnny Lea
> I do have a question on something someone mentioned and that is de-
> deduplication.  Are many of you using it and do you consider it an
extra
> level on potential problems?  Just curious.

It's highly overrated with TSM, since TSM doesn't do absolute (full)
backups unless such are forced. If you want maximum bang for your buck
with dedupe, you need to run an app like IBM CommonStore for Email that
will enable SIS (single-instance store) on your email server's data.

When a CEO sends a 4MB attachment to 100 different email addresses, it
makes mail administrators cry.

--
Mark Stapleton
Berbee (a CDW company)