ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up PST files

2008-02-14 10:41:53
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up PST files
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:41:27 -0500
>> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:23:25 -0500, "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT
>> LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM> said:

> Have you looked into ndmp from the filer to your tsm server?  If you
> are at TSM V5.4 you can do this over ethernet and handle the data
> just like any other node - move, copy etc.  It also minimizes impact
> on DB size.  The trick is to recognize ndmp full/differential
> methodology in the TSM incremental methodology climate.

NDMP: Avoid, avoid, avoid.

I've elaborated on this opinion in the past, but the succinct summary
is that NDMP turns all your fancy TSM infrastructure into a big
remote-tape structure.

Only the very most recent and fancy NDMP clients even give TSM any
sense of the contents of the data.

You have to come up with device drivers on all your NDMP clients.

Ick.  Assiduously investigate other options before discarding all the
advantages TSM gives you.

I spent years doing rmt on unix: I don't want to go back, and you
don't want to go there.

- Allen S. Rout