ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TS3500 vs 3494 strengths and weaknesses.

2008-02-13 20:35:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TS3500 vs 3494 strengths and weaknesses.
From: Steven Harris <sjharris AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:33:15 +1100
Wanda wrote (in part)

> OTOH, the LTO4 drives will require a new library.  The TS3500 library is
my
> favorite library out there; it is even more durable than the 3494, MUCH
> faster, and a cleaner interface than the 3494 (no category codes to deal
> with).

Hi Wanda,

I quite like the TS3500, but it does have its limitations. Yes, I'd have to
agree that the 3494 category code system is not intutive to begin with, but
once you get your head around it it seems to work quite well, particularly
when operator intervention is spotty or irregular.  The TS3500 gives me
grief when the IO capacity is insufficient and it doesn't get immediate
operator attention.  It may well be better when ALMS is installed, but none
of my customers have felt the need to make the additional expenditure  ALMS
should be standard with an advanced library IMO.

Regards

Steve.

Steven Harris
TSM Admin, Sydney Australia