ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] OFS support/changes in 5.5 client

2008-02-13 20:02:49
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] OFS support/changes in 5.5 client
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:02:12 -0700
Yes, your usage scenarios look correct to me (and yes, I agree the book
can use a little work in this area; I assume you refer to the section in
chapter 2 on configuring OFS support).

Regarding pros and cons:

- If you want snapshotted backups on XP, LVSA is the only choice.

- LVSA install/uninstall requires a reboot.

- LVSA tuning can be tricky, sometimes there is no "one size fits all" set
of values (though defaults have been changed to hopefully get closer to
one-size-fits-all). There are no tuning options with VSS (might be some OS
registry hacks, but I do not know what those are).

- LVSA is not signed, so in shops that have strict requirements against
installing unsigned drivers, VSS is the alternative.

- Depending on the number of files to inspect, number of files to back up,
and other system load, incremental backup might perform better with LVSA
(or VSS).

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2008-02-12
06:58:56: