ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Exchange TDP Backups / Performance and RC Errors

2008-02-11 14:29:53
Subject: [ADSM-L] Exchange TDP Backups / Performance and RC Errors
From: "Hart, Charles A" <charles_hart AT UHC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:29:20 -0600

We've been noticing poor performance from our Exchange TDP backups.

1) The TDP Client runs 4 Streams (One per E-Mail Storage Group)
utilizing a dedicated Gige backup NIC.

2) The Backup Server is a IBM p570 with 2 3Gige Ether Channel bundles,
(Traffic is going over backup NIC) but they are seeing 4-5MBS per stream
averaging 20MBS combined.

3) The Exchange Team is running the Exchange online Defrag on the
message stores during the TDP backups, which I know has to have some
impact but have not been able to quantify. I would say stop running both
processes concurrently, but need convincing data for Exchange Admins.

4)The Exchange Backups occasionally run in the Rc = 425 Errors which
I've found a few posts on that point to the Exchange Server being too
busy to process the E-Mail Backups? They also see a few RC = 50's... Of
course nothing interesting on the TSM Server side log, other than
session starts and stops.

5) I think the TCP Settings on the E-mail Server and TDP cfg are
default, so there's probably TCP Window Size and Buffer Opportunities.

It would be great for some one to share any convincing data as to their
performance improvements to Exchange Backups.

Thanks again!