ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Physically shred tape after one use? [ email retention ]

2008-02-08 14:12:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Physically shred tape after one use? [ email retention ]
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 14:11:47 -0500
Ack.  I feel your pain.
(Those are the same people who will argue with you that AES256 encryption
just isn't secure enough.)

But the L word (litigation) trumps everything, as far as I've been able to
determine.

Isn't there an ERASE command that works on the 359x hardware?
You can't access it via TSM, but perhaps you could invoke it from AIX,
creating a very tedious task for operators to use when tapes come back from
the vault.  (But that will only work if you PROMISE not to mention to them
that the dead stuff still exists on tapes in between good stuff that hasn't
expired, and you can retrieve that if you restore your TSM DB back 3 or 4
months whenever they need it....)

For the onsite stuff, tell the people who want the stuff physically erased
that they have to buy you enough SATA disk to store all their email backups,
and set up a TSM file pool with Disk Shredding (that's what it's for).