ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ANR9999D: BlueARC NDMP backup

2008-02-07 20:53:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ANR9999D: BlueARC NDMP backup
From: Lloyd Dieter <ldieter AT ROCHESTER.RR DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 20:53:07 -0500
It sounds like you're trying to backup to a disk pool, which is supposed to
work with 5.4 and above with Netapp/Nseries and Celerra.

In our case, the TSM server is Linux RH4, V5.4, to SAN attached 3584 with LTO3
drives.

I couldn't get it to work with BlueArc, and I went down the path with their
tech people...the response was that they'd never had anyone try that yet...not
sure if I believe that or not.  What I gathered from the exercise was that the
BlueArc apparently wasn't capable of doing NDMP 3-way communication.

In our case, NDMP backups direct to tape work fine, albeit very slowly, which
was the reason for trying to run to the disk pools.

A snippet if the activity log is below, along with a help listing for the
ANR4794E message.  If you have any more luck than I did, I'd love to hear about
it....

ANR0984I Process 60 for BACKUP NAS (FULL) started in the BACKGROUND at 09:27:53
AM.
ANR1063I Full backup of NAS node NAS01, file system /__VOLUME__/SW, started as
process 60 by administrator ADMIN.
ANR2017I Administrator ADMIN issued command: QUERY PROCESS
ANR2017I Administrator ADMIN issued command: QUERY MOUNT
ANR2034E QUERY MOUNT: No match found using this criteria.
ANR4794E The NAS file server xxx.xxx.x.xx failed to open an NDMP data
connection to the TSM tape server. Please verify that the file server is
capable of outbound data connections.
ANR4728E Server connection to file server NAS01 failed. Please check the
attributes of the file server specified during
definition of the datamover.
ANR1096E NAS Backup to TSM Storage process 60 terminated - storage media
inaccessible.
ANR0985I Process 60 for BACKUP NAS (FULL) running in the BACKGROUND completed
with completion state FAILURE at 09:29:08
AM.

tsm: TSM01>help 4794

ANR4794E The NAS file server File server name failed to open an NDMP data
connection to the TSM tape server. Please verify that the file server is
capable of outbound data connections.

Explanation: During a NAS filer-to-server backup operation the data
connection from the file server to the TSM server failed. This may occur
because a firewall exists between the file server and the TSM server and is
preventing outbound network connections on the file server. This may also
occur if the network configuration of the system running the TSM server is
reporting an invalid TCP/IP host address, for example "127.0.0.1".

System Action: The TSM server backup operation on the file server fails.

User Response: Verify that the NAS file server is capable of starting
outbound network connections to the TSM server. Verify that the file server
supports NDMP 3-way operations. Verify that the network configuration of the
system running the TSM server is reporting a valid TCP/IP host address. .