ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Win2K3 backup performance

2008-02-01 08:06:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Win2K3 backup performance
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 08:05:21 -0500
We have had several instances of slow backup times to Win servers (with 1gb
connections) where the throughput looked almost exactly like 100mb
connections.  As we looked at it, we found that all access to these servers
(including backups) was going through a BigIP box with only 100mb
connections.

Rick

             Sam Sheppard
             <[email protected]
             .GOV>                                                      To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Win2K3 backup performance

             01/31/2008 07:08
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

We have a Windows 2003 client running TSM 5.4.1 backing up to a Solaris
10 TSM server running the 5.4.1 server.

The client has several very large files to be backed up (300-400GB). We
are finding on a 1.3GB test file that we can only get a throughput of
about 10MB/sec (looks like 100Mb speed) even though this client is
configured on a GigE VLan.  One interesting aspect just discovered is
that a restore of the same file got speeds of 37MB/sec, which is about
the same as an FTP of the same file from the client to the server.
Client, switch, and server all set to 1GB full.

At this point, I'm completely mystified as to what might be behind
these performance anomalies.  I would expect much higher throughput
rates on all of these tests, but would be satisfied if the backup would
just perform at the same speed as the others.

Client options:                  Server Options:

TCPWindowsize   63               TCPWindowsize      131072
TCPBuffsize  32

Thanks
Sam Sheppard
San Diego Data Processing Corp.
(858)-581-9668

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.