ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM ACSLS STK checkin tapes

2008-02-01 06:11:04
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM ACSLS STK checkin tapes
From: BEYERS Kurt <Kurt.BEYERS AT VRT DOT BE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:06:04 +0100
Hello,

I’ve got a rather obvious question which is the following: how do you checkin
tapes in a STK library that is controlled by ACSLS software?  So far I was
mainly working with SCSI libraries in TSM, thus the ACSLS libraries are new to
me.

The environment is the following:

TSM Server 5.4.1.2 on AIX 5.3TL5

STK SL8500 tape library with ACSLS 7.1.0 (Solaris 9)

The CAP in the STK library is set to manual mode. The CAP cannot be set to
automatic mode, because other software that uses the STK library doesn’t like
this.

If I logon to the ACSLS server and open a ‘cmd_proc –ql’ window, I can open the
CAP there by issuing the command ‘enter CAP_ID’. The CAP is now unlocked and
can be opened. The tapes are then added into the library and a succesfull
checkin message is written in the ‘cmd_proc –ql’ window. Which can be left
again with a logoff command. And then a checkin in TSM with a search into the
library can be started.

The latter process should be automated in a script however so that the
operators can simply enter tapes into the library. Are there scripts out there
that can be shared for this purpose? Or can the enter command on the CAP be
given in a oneliner command so that it is easily incorporated in a bash script?

Any feedback and hints from other TSM users with ACSLS libraries is more then
welcome!

Best regards,

Kurt

<mailto:kurt.beyers AT vrt DOT be>