ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Archived data, deleted from Tivoli but still on tape. Normal?

2008-01-28 07:55:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Archived data, deleted from Tivoli but still on tape. Normal?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 07:54:12 -0500
On Jan 28, 2008, at 7:32 AM, Angus Macdonald wrote:

I've just finished archiving 2TB of data from a fileserver. Once
complete (it took 5 days but that's another issue) I ran a "delete
backup" command at the client and 2.9 million files were removed
from the database. The files are no longer available to restore at
the client.

However, the tape pool the files were backed up to is still full.
Querying a tapes contents shows the archived (and subsequently
deleted) files are still there. Once deleted, should files expire
normally or should they be deleted straight away? I expected the
latter.

dsmc Delete BAckup marks files for expiration, as noted in ADSM
QuickFacts and IBM Technotes such as 1224145.  (Why such obvious
information is perpetually left out of TSM manuals is a mystery of
IBM Publications.)

   Richard Sims