ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication

2008-01-24 23:29:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 23:28:42 -0500
Yes and no.

All the data backed up by a client in encrypted format stays encrypted, it
can only be decrypted by the original client (or a client with the original
encryption key).  If you turn on encryption on the drives that's OK, if
client-encrypted data gets sent there via MOVE DATA, reclaim, or BACKUP
STGPOOL, it will work fine.  The drives apply their own encryption
algorithm, but it's transparent to everybody.  The drives won't be able to
compress the client-encrypted data, but you're no worse off than you are
now.

But if you turn on tape encryption, you can turn off client encryption.
Then the drives will compress first, then encrypt, so you get
good compression ratios for the data.  If you send your onsite data to a
de-dup VTL and your TSM copy tapes to encrypting drives, you will get the
benefits of dedup in the VTL and the benefits of compression on the
drives.  As older data expires, your overall compression ratio will get
better over time.