ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Server 5.4 and client compatibility question?

2008-01-24 10:12:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Server 5.4 and client compatibility question?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:11:16 -0500
There is no compatibility list which covers "historic" client/server
levels.  It is generally the case that the TSM client and server are
FORMALLY defined as compatible within one release level of each
other, where that limit pertains to what IBM has actually tested.
You naturally should not attempt to implement a client level higher
than the server and expect advanced client features to work where
they require server programming to support them.

The formal compatibility list is most commonly found in Chapter 1 of
the client manual, and in README files that accompany upgrades.
There will also be occasional Technotes summarizing compatibility, as
you've seen from Efim's posting.

Outside of formal specs, we in the TSM community know from experience
that an old client will generally work with a new server.  In my
shop, we still have a v2 client working with a v5 server.

   Richard Sims    http://people.bu.edu/rbs