ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM on Power

2008-01-18 20:08:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM on Power
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:07:44 -0500
MARTHA!!
It's cool we finally get to TALK to you on the list!
MANY THANKS for all your work keeping ADSM-L working for us!

I've done the 3494 retrofit before from Mainframe z/OS to "Open" systems
(UNIX or Windows).

You don't say what type of drives you are using, that may make a difference.
You will need to talk to your sales guys to find out all the feature codes
you need.

On the mainframe side, the z/OS 3494 connection is via ESCON; I'm assuming
it's the same for z/VM.
The commands from TSM to the 3494 library and drives go via ESCON, through
the ESCON controller that is inside the 3494.

When you use the 3494 on the "open" systems side, the connection from TSM to
the library (not the drives) is via Ethernet or Serial cable; most of the
ones I"ve seen are Ethernet.  So first you've got to find out if you have
the Ethernet adapter in the 3494 or you need to buy one.

Same issue with the drives; if you are using 3590-B, E, or H, they have
ESCON connectors.  TSM on AIX will talk to them via SCSI commands over
fibre, not ESCON ( the ESCON controller just isn't used- the fibre runs from
the AIX box directly into the back of the drive, or to a SAN switch then to
the drives).  You can get a kit where the CE's come in and convert the
drives from ESCON to fibre, takes 2-3 hours for them to do one, as I
recall.  Library stays online most of the time..  (Rather than paying for
the upgrade, this might be a good time to just buy higher-capacity drives.)

If you are using 3592/TS1120 drives, I'm not sure whether you have to do a
conversion; I think not, but check with your sales person.

Once you get the hookup straight, everything else works pretty much like you
expect.  Each host using the library needs to declare a category code;
instead of getting assigned when the tapes go in through the door, AIX TSM
assigns the category code when you do a CHECKIN.  Function of the 3494
library manager is just the same when using OPEN systems.  Library commands
go via Ethernet, drive commands & data go over the fibre.

Now here's the ugly part.  You can reuse the media after you convert the
drives, but there is no way for your new TSM on AIX to use the DATA on the
old cartridges.  There is no way to migrate the TSM DB from one platform to
another without moving (and rewriting) all the data  (not to mention the
EBCDIC to ASCII difference).

So you'll probably need to have BOTH TSM servers using the 3494 for a while
(which is no problem for the 3494, each host just has a different category
code - no different from having multiple z/VM LPAR's accessing the 3494).
And some of your drives will still be ESCON, and some won't.   That's not an
issue as long as you have multiple frames available  (I think all drives in
1 frame have to be the same type, but I'm not sure about that one.)

So one strategy I have used is having IBM come in and convert MOST of the
drives; leave just a couple on the mainframe side.  Hook up the new TSM
server, start production.  Use the 2 z/VM drives to slowly export all the
data server-to-server to the new TSM on AIX.  How you do that sort of
juggling depends highly on your individual site environment, requirements,
preferences, user SLA's, and the total amount of data that requires
juggling.

Re disk space:  You want enough disk space to contain at least 1 night's
backup data, plus your DB and log.  And you want your TSM DB on volumes that
are physically separate luns from the disk pool.

For more info about sizing the P550, tell me how much data you back up in 24
hours, how many tape drives (and what type) you'll be using....

Hopefully this is enough info to get you started.  Feel free to contact me
offline if you want to discuss more.

Wanda