ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Windows Client question...

2008-01-18 13:29:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Windows Client question...
From: Kurt Buff <KBuff AT ZETRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:29:12 -0800
I would suggest not backing up PST files, if the environment is running
Exchange. Exchange is the proper store for email in that case, as PST files are
much more fragile than the Exchange store.

If the environment is so small that they are not using Exchange, then IMHO TSM
is probably not a good fit for their environment anyway.

On a semi-related note, this MSFT KB article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019

and especially this blog post

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/01/21/network-stored-pst-files-don-t-do-it.aspx

explain why PST storage on file servers is a bad idea.

Kurt