ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM v5.5 feedback: problems? plusses?

2008-01-16 00:52:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM v5.5 feedback: problems? plusses?
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:48:27 -0600
.
We're on AIX TSM Server 5.5 in large-scale production, since December 28
when we migrated from 5.3. (Somewhat against my better judgement which
tells me never to run a "dot zero" version of anything, much less a "dot
zero dot zero". But here we are, on AIX TSM 5.5.0.0 server and a few
clients. Most clients are 5.3 and 5.4. Make sure your v5.5 Windows
clients in particular are at 5.5.0.2; 5.5.0.0 had some serious issues.

It has gone really very well. We have had one hard server crash, and TSM
development is pouring over the core dump as I type. Other than that, it
has been very clean, with none of the glitchy little problems I
expected.

While upgrading, the instructions said it would do an upgradedb
automatically. It didn't, but that was immediately apparent so I ran it
manually. No big deal.

Ours is a very big system that we push very hard. (About to be split
into two.) So it exercizes lots of the code, and presents a lot of
potential timing issues. One crash isn't bad for a .0.0 release. Go for
it on the server, but proceed more carefully with the clients.

========== I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing. ==========