ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SV: Suggestion for Archive?

2008-01-03 11:45:14
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SV: Suggestion for Archive?
From: "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 11:44:37 -0500
One issue with a monthly/yearly backup/archive is that the changes that occur
between events will not be captured.  If a file is created on March 3rd and
deleted March 25th, a monthly backup/archive that runs on the first of each
month will not capture this file.

One method of retaining all data that is backed up nightly would be to:
- Create the node name of the client reflecting the time period that data is
backed up - i.e. "docserver-march08".
- At the end of each time period, change the node name to the new time period
"docserver-April08"
- run a "export node docserver-march08...." to tape and then put that tape in a
safe place with associated recovery documentation.  After the data has been
successfully exported, delete all files associated with the exported node
"docserver-march08".
- Repeat for each time period.

Your database will remain manageable.
You will maintain daily recovery granularity.
You MUST keep the recovery sequence documentation for exports which span
multiple media.
If you change media or backup platforms, you will have a bit of work importing
and exporting to new media but, so it goes...

Have a nice day,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.