ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Atape Driver ANR8779E and Windows 2000

2008-01-03 00:25:50
Subject: [ADSM-L] Atape Driver ANR8779E and Windows 2000
From: Steven Harris <sjharris AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 16:24:37 +1100
Hi All

I have a problem I'd like your opinions on

My customer is running a Windows2000 TSM server (5.3.4.0).  Library is 3584
with 4 each LTO2 and LTO3 drives, LTO2 media.  The largest clients use
storage agents to access the tapes directly.

I'm getting errors ANR8779E Unable to open drive mtx.y.z.n error number=170

This is addressed in
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&q1=ANR8779E&uid=swg21269235&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc=us&lang=en

The server is Windows2000 and already is using the device driver that is
supposed to contain the fix.  There will be no later versions of device
driver for this OS so there is no hope for a direct cure.

The readme for the Atape driver states that there are two versions of the
driver,  one for TSM that allows only one open at a time and one for use
with Windows RSM that allows for multiple opens. See para 12 of
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/Windows/Win2000/Latest/IBMTape.W200x.Readme.txt

Since only TSM is going to be using these drives,  is it reasonable to
install the  non-TSM version of the driver to get around the problem?  Is
anyone doing this, or developed another workaround for the ANR8779E
problem.  Alternatively, is it possible to revert to an earlier version of
the driver that doesn't exhibit thr problem.  I'm floating in an
unsupported sea here and looking for a life preserver!

Thanks

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin