ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tracking Permission Changes

2007-12-12 15:01:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tracking Permission Changes
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:59:43 -0700
The changed attribs update refers to basic file attributes, such as
readwrite/readonly flag, archive bit, basic security (rwxrwxrwx), etc.,
that are stored in the TSM server database, not as part of the file data
in the storage pools. The intent of this behavior is to optimize backup
time by updating the attributes in the TSM server database, rather than
sending the entire file again. More complex attributes such as Windows
security are too large to store in the TSM server database, and are
therefore backed up as part of the file. In this case, when the Windows
security attributes change, the entire file is backed up again (including
the security info).

The client manuals talk about which changes trigger attribute updates
versus complete backups of the files in chapter 4, under the description
of full and partial incremental backup.

Go to the URL in my sig and do a search on ATTRIBUTE UPDATE... you'll get
a lot of hits, but the top article, #1248006, might be of interest.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 12/11/2007
08:43:29 AM: