ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] alternate config for backup of MS Clusters?

2007-12-11 14:05:00
Subject: [ADSM-L] alternate config for backup of MS Clusters?
From: "Schaub, Steve" <steve_schaub AT BCBST DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:39:57 -0500
Ok, let's just admit it right now - I'm lazy.

Because of that, I hate the complexity of configuring TSM to backup my
MS Clusters (I also hate MS Clusters, but that's a discussion for
another day).

Can someone explain to me why I cant just do the following instead
(since the following is easily scripted):

1.       Install the TSM BA client as per normal on the physical machine

2.       For each cluster, create a cluster.opt file which uses the
clustername as the nodename, with the clusternode yes option included

3.       On each physical machine, either as a postschedule task, or a
separate sched, run dsmc incr -optfile=cluster.opt

As far as I can see, this gets all (and only) the cluster drives backed
up under a common nodename (so no duplicated backups), and whoever
happens to "own" the resource when the backup runs, will back it up,
without having to go through the hassle of configuring cluster failover
resources.

The target is hung - fire at will.

Steve Schaub

Systems Engineer, Windows

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee

423-535-6574 (desk)

423-785-7347 (mobile)

Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee E-mail
disclaimer:  http://www.bcbst.com/email_disclaimer.shtm