ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Tracking Permission Changes

2007-12-11 11:01:46
Subject: [ADSM-L] Tracking Permission Changes
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:43:29 -0500
I'm trying to figure out when the permission of certain files changed.   I
ran a few tests, and I'm not sure I like the behavior of TSM.  Maybe I'm
missing something.

- I backed up a file a month ago.
- The file hasn't changed for a month
- Today I changed the permission from 644 to 444.
- I ran a "dsmc i" and it didn't back up the file again, just updated:
"Total number of objects updated:   1"
- When I browse the files for restore, there was no indication of the
permission change
- When I restore the file with a point-in-time from before this update, it
still restores the file with the current permission!

It doesn't seem this is how it should work, but I do understand that the
metadata of the file is probably stored in the TSM DB and there is
probably no facility to maintain metadata history.    Does this seem
strange to anyone?

-Shawn

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.