ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] FILE devclass tactics?

2007-12-07 23:29:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] FILE devclass tactics?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 23:29:07 -0500
>> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 14:47:03 -0500, Matthew Glanville <matthew.glanville AT
>> KODAK DOT COM> said:

> But then utilize the true underlying free/full disk space to determine the
> high/low migration settings instead of the # of volumes.

This is much much harder than you might think.  For example, the
config I was aiming for would have had three 1.7TB filesystems used
for a devclass, volumes shared out from a library manager, volumes
used by any of 20-some TSM servers.  No single TSM server would have a
sense of the total space pressure.

> And of course migrate all volumes for one 'node or filespace' at
> once to avoid that tape swapping issue.  It sounds too easy to do.

Oh, I want it, but I don't think it's easy.  Not so long as they want
to keep the code bases for FILE devclasses essentially similar to the
other serial media.

- Allen S. Rout