ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Vista oddness

2007-12-06 16:23:16
Subject: [ADSM-L] Vista oddness
From: "Tyree, David" <david.tyree AT SGMC DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 16:22:38 -0500
            We are testing Vista and I'm seeing something odd. TSM seems
to want to do almost a full backup every time it runs automatically.

            I'm running the 5.5.0 client on a VMware (6.0) Vista
Ultimate box that is talking to a TSM server running 5.4.1 on Windows.

            The backup on the Vista machine is automated using the
DSMCAD service. The incremental backup kicks off at the correct time,
but it ends up doing a full backup.

            I've looked through the dsmsched log on the Vista machine
and I'm seeing where it has contacted the TSM server and picked up the
schedule name and the action. The schedule name is correct and the
action is set to incremental. And several lines in the dsmsched log
mention "Incremental backup of '\\is-vista-test-d\c$' finished".

            The log shows everything just like what I would expect to
say, the issue is that it ends up backing up almost 8 gigs of files each
time the backup runs. I've run scheduled incremental backups almost back
to back on the machine and it picks up 8 gigs each time. The machine is
just sitting there between backups; I'm not doing anything on the
machine in between.

            If I open the GUI and tag the c drive for incremental backup
it goes out and looks at all the files on the drive and backs up a few
dozen files and it done. Just like I would expect it to.

            If I go to the baclient folder and run "dsmc incr" from the
command line it ends up doing what looks like a full backup.

            In the last couple of hours I had a scheduled backup run
that moved about 8 gigs worth of files. Right after that finished I did
a c drive backup from the GUI. It moved a few hundred megs of files.
Right behind that I did the "dsmc incr". So far it's moved over 4 gig of
files and is still running.

            Anybody got a idea what's going on here?

            PS, Vista looks good.  Except most of our software doesn't
run. The UAC (User Account Control) is a real piece of work. And they
have moved everything around so you can't find what you're looking for.
But at least it looks good....

David Tyree
Interface Analyst
South Georgia Medical Center
229.333.1155

Confidential Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
copies of the original message.