ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L] DB Audit

2007-12-06 09:07:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L] DB Audit
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 08:58:48 -0500
On Dec 6, 2007, at 4:23 AM, Lehmann, Stefan wrote:

Hello Andy,

it´s a fact that audits are painfully slow ... - some weeks ago my tsm
productive DB 30GB DB-Size on a p570
and a DS8100 (AIX 5.3/TSM 5.4.1.2) needed an audit - 12 hours later the
audit was done !! So I think the audit process doesn´t care about fast
hardware .. maybe you find the pages on
http://www.lascon.co.uk/d005106.htm#dbaud
useful - here are some facts and calculating examples described..

While well-intended, that Web page fails to advise the uninitiated that performing a Fix=Yes audit to correct database problems without TSM Support direction can result in worse problems, including data loss. Structural problems and inconsistencies in any database system can be much more complex than a vanilla utility can properly deal with. If you have reason to believe that your TSM database has problems, contact TSM Support for assistance in dealing with them: do not attempt amateur surgery. The data represented in the database does not belong to you, and its owners put it there with the full expectation that you would fully safeguard it until they need it. Database problems often result from not following TSM recommendations for mirroring and proper server operation, so assure that procedures are as they should be, first. If your database does not exhibit any problems, don't monkey with it.

   Richard Sims