ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Is there a simple way to test a tape drive?

2007-12-04 22:19:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Is there a simple way to test a tape drive?
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:29:54 -0500
What I do is this (works best if little activity on Library)

When repaired drive is ready, use "Update drive" to place
all drives offline - except ones currently in use.  Then place
the replaced drive online and maybe 2 or 2 more.  Then do
something like reclamation, migration or move data.

Guaranteed to use the drive in a few minutes.  I prefer
this to say checkin or checkout tape, which make minimum
use of tape.

Have used this for years.

FYI:  Remember to put other drives back online afterwards!

David Longo

>>> Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM> 11/30/2007 3:23 PM >>>
Sometimes I want to have TSM test out a tape drive.
Something like . . .
  - pick a drive
  - pick a tape
  - have tsm mount the tape and read the label (or something)
  - tell me this succeeded or not

Like yesterday . . . IBM repaired a tape drive.  After fixing it, IBM
tells us it's fixed.  We put the drive online . . .and wait for TSM
to use it.  For this particular drive, it was several hours before
TSM used it.

We also get this after an upgrade, or adding a new drive.  To get
TSm to used any drive, let alone a particular drive, requires
starting a migration, update stgpool, backup to tape, etc.  All
are large processes.

Is there a simple way to get TSM to exercise a particular tape drive? Or,
what do you do in these situations?

We have 3590 drives in 3494 libraries, and 3592 drives in 3584 libraries.

Thanks

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.

#####################################
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.