ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] LTO4 hardware or software problem

2007-11-22 08:16:15
Subject: [ADSM-L] LTO4 hardware or software problem
From: Oscar Kolsteren <Oscar.Kolsteren AT INGDIRECT.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:10:32 -0000
Hi all,

I've got a bit of a problem here. Let me start with what we have:

-          TSM V5.4.1.1 server running on LPAR P570 AIX V5.3-05-CSP

-          One TS3500 with 6 LTO3 and 2 new LTO4 drives.

-          Two virtual libraries, one with LTO3 drives and one with LTO4
drives

-          Library and drives are at latest firmware level

-          AMLS and encryption license are enabled

-          Configured LTO4 library to application-encryption, in other
words TSM server is in charge of encryption keys

Goal:

Migrate our big DWH Oracle environment to LTO4 non-encrypted storagepool
for onsite storage and make a backup of this stgp to encrypted offsite
stgp.

Why back it up unencrypted locally, because if data is being encrypted
you can't compress it so we wouldn't take the full advantage of the data
capacity of LTO4 tapes.

So far so good

Problem:

When I start backing up from non-encrypted stgp to encrypted stgp I get
a hardware error every time. I've placed a call with software support
and run tracings but they suggested placing a hardware call as they
can't find anything within TSM.

Now if I put this encrypted deviceclass to driveencryption=no and run a
backup, everything is running smoothly. Till now I've backupped 6Tb
without any problems.

Does this sounds familiar to someone???

Any help is appreciated...

Regards

Oscar Kolsteren

UNIX / TSM Administrator

ING Direct

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and confidential,
and only intended for the addressee. Should you receive this message by
mistake, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, reproduction,
distribution or use of this message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the
sender by
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or opening it.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known. If this message
contains password-protected or encrypted attachments, the files have NOT been
scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain. Always scan attachments before
opening them.

ING Direct NV is limited liability company incorporated in The Netherlands.
Registered in England & Wales, Branch Ref BR7357, 410 Thames Valley Park Drive,
Reading, Berkshire, RG6 1RH.