ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Shrinking the SQL logs after TDP full backup

2007-10-30 17:10:17
Subject: [ADSM-L] Shrinking the SQL logs after TDP full backup
From: Rick Harderwijk <rick.harderwijk AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:09:46 +0100
Hi *

I have been staring at this problem for too long now and I need it fixed. We
have some rather large transaction logs on our MSSQL2005 servers because
some backups went wrong for some time. Now that the backups are a-ok
again, I need to shrink those logfiles, and I could do that from osql with
dbcc shrinkfile, but I'd rather make it stick - so I thought I'd put it in
as part of the TDP backup cycle. However, I cannot figure out how to do it.
I do not have powershell installed on the machines, so that is out. DMO is a
way to go, but will be discontinued, so why bother and I just can't get it
right with SMO and VBScript - I'm no expert in VBScripting, but with the
right examples I usually can manage something that seems pretty basic to me
as lined out below...

What I need is:

1. Check what databases are on the server (as new databases are added over
time I do not wish to rewrite the script every time)
2. Get the physical names of the logfiles for each and every one of those
databases
3. Shrink the logfiles so it will free up diskspace.

@2 - I might need to add an extra check to make sure I only shrink the
logfiles of the databases that are in full recovery mode.

I'm sure people are doing this - otherwise all the transaction logs would be
way too big - but I just cannot find the info I need.

I was hoping maybe you could help...

Cheers,

Rick