ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Need advice on a long term TSM storage solution

2007-10-26 13:39:53
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Need advice on a long term TSM storage solution
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:38:57 -0400
> There is always the risk that when you read off of EVERY tape to write
> to new media, you will find some un-readable data, (which is what you
> always hear folks saying about tape), but in our case we read over 800TB
> of data with over 700,000,000 objects and had 32 files comprising 5MB
> that was unrecoverable (they were in a storagepool we do not put on a
> copypool on purpose). I found that a very acceptable statistic.
>
> Ben

I have to agree.  We migrated our primary pools from 3590 to 3592, over
600tb, with very few problems.  I think that expiration/reclamation forces
almost all our tapes to be used on some regular basis.  I think this is
a strength - it's more work, but tapes get used regularly.

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.