ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] FC workload combinations, redux.

2007-10-23 15:53:40
Subject: [ADSM-L] FC workload combinations, redux.
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:53:14 -0400
So, I've got cause to re-examine my assumptions re: mixing workload
mixes between disk and tape on my FC adapters.  I know it's canon that
you mustn't mix the streams, but how much impact are folks seeing on
this recently?  Is it mostly an adapter cache issue, or are there
other aspects?

I've got a bunch of devices currently on 1G fiber, which I'm
considering sticking on 2G adapters, plugged into 4G ports on a
director.  I'm testing out the notion that workflows I've currently
got crossing 4 1G paths could do reasonably well on 2 2G paths.  Sane?
Insane?

What about 2 4G paths?  How bad is the performance hit?

4G ports on a director are expensive, so if it is reasonable to save
them, I'm going to try.

- Allen S. Rout