ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Please help! - Three questions on handing TSM data over to an application vendor

2007-10-02 12:13:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Please help! - Three questions on handing TSM data over to an application vendor
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 11:11:20 -0500
> I have a vendor asking some application folks questions re: an upcoming
> data
> migration. Some I think I can answer, but I would love your input.
>

> 1.    What is the best way to give the application owner a view of last
> night's backup? He only wanted last night's backup info, and understands
> that
> it is an incremental, so should I just send the output of 'q content
> vol-name-here' to a document and send it to him? If so, how can I
> determine
> what tape that data is on in primary storage? I'm assuming a select
> statement?

Q CONTENT gives you the data on the tape, not the data from last night's
backup.  If the guy wants to see WHAT got backed up, give him the
dsmsched.log file from the client.

If he wants to know HOW MUCH, pull it from the SUMMARY table, or the TSM
accounting records.

> 2.    Can I make a copy of a tape from a primary storage, while keeping the
> original copy in the library? My gut says no, but they asked...
> 3.    Does the vendor have to have a TSM client to read a tape with only
> TSM backup data on it?

He can't read a TSM COPYPOOL tape even if  he HAS a TSM client.
You need the TSM DB to read a TSM stgpool tape.

You can create a TSM backupset, then he can restore it with just a TSM
client, with a significant amount of work.

Best idea is to use some OS level utility to create him a copy of whatever
data he needs, and not try to use TSM to transfer data to someone else.