ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Migration question

2007-10-01 19:35:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Migration question
From: Stuart Lamble <adsm AT CAROUSEL.ITS.MONASH.EDU DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 09:33:07 +1000
On 02/10/2007, at 2:35 AM, Dollens, Bruce wrote:

I have a question that I feel a little stupid in asking.

What is the difference between migration and backup primary (disk) to
copy (tape)?

Other people have already answered, so I won't bother. :)

I am working on changing my scheduling up and the recommended order of
steps I was given is:

Backup clients
Migration
Backup primary to copy
Backup db
Expiration
Reclamation
Start all over again

I'd change that order slightly to:

Backup clients
Backup disk pool(s)
Migration
Backup tape pool(s)
Backup db
Expiration
Reclamation
Repeat ad nauseum.

Better to backup the storage pool data while it's still on disk,
rather than to flush it out to tape and then back it up - saves on
the amount of data read from tape. Some data may well still flush
down to tape before the first backup stgpool runs, which is why you
want to backup the tape pool as well after migration is complete.