ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] INCLUDE.ENCRYPT and the Encryptkey

2007-09-21 23:12:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] INCLUDE.ENCRYPT and the Encryptkey
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 22:10:13 -0500
When encryption is done by the client, the key is stored somewhere on the
client machine (with Windows, it's encrypted and stored in the registry.
For *IX, I think it's in /etc somewhere, also encrypted).

If you try to restore a file(s) to the same machine, the TSM client gets
the encryption key from its hiding place in the registry and decrypts the
file on the fly.

If you try to restore to any OTHER machine, the TSM client won't find that
key stored on the machine, and when you start the restore process you will
be prompted for the encryption key. If you have data that has been
encrypted with different keys, you're going to have a heck of a time
getting through the restore.  If you don't know the key, you won't get the
data back at all.

TDP's are different; you don't provide the key, it's created on the fly
and stored in the TSM DB, so you don't need to know what it is.