ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] RES: [ADSM-L] TSM for Copy Services

2007-09-17 15:17:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] RES: [ADSM-L] TSM for Copy Services
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:14:49 -0400
Hi Vinicius,

No.   There is potentially a very large difference.

"VSS Fast Restore" ("file-level") must do a byte for byte copy of the
data.
This means... it is completely dependent on the size of the files to copy.
The larger the database and log files, the longer it will take.
(Think of running the COPY command, or copying files using
Windows Explorer.)

"VSS Instant Restore" has a huge advantage over "VSS Fast Restore",
especially in large Exchange environments because it uses the
hardware-assisted volume-level copy. It does not need
to get to the granularity of the file system... and it does
not need to use operating system resources to perform the copy.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 09/17/2007
02:47:37 PM: