ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Maximum throughput with Windows 2003

2007-09-11 16:39:03
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Maximum throughput with Windows 2003
From: Kenny <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:36:42 -0700
Hi Ian,

Great information...

I had no idea Windows 2003 could get read speeds of 400MB/s.

My proposed VTL does not do de-dupe in line, it is a post process so I am not
concerned with VTL performance.

I need to backup about 10 TB's from the array. This is a mix of file system,
email and database...  I will be using BCV's and mounting those volumes on Win
2003 hosts.

I am not sure how much impact TSM has on moving data? I have a choice. I can
use VTL or add more physical LTO-3 drives... I understand the benefits of a VTL
in a TSM environment, but more specifically...

LTO-3 can do 80MB/sec. If I have 4 drives allocated to Windows host, I don't
think I can keep them streaming? Will I be better off with 8 virtual drives?
Will more streams give me more performance with TSM?

I am new to TSM, I know it does not do multiplexing but not sure about
multistreaming?

Am I better off creating multiple BCV's and mounting different file systems in
order to have more streams or should I keep it simple and have larger luns with
only a single stream?

Thanks again for the help.

Pat