ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Insight into improving restores needed

2007-09-05 20:23:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Insight into improving restores needed
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 20:21:08 -0400
I will just add 2 quick things to check.

1.  You say TSM server is GB, probably all the clients are not though.
For the ones that are 100MB Nic's - DOUBLE CHECK before starting
restore at DR site that they and the Ethernet Switch ports they connect
to are set to 100MB Full Duplex - not auto negotiate.  Many people
have lost hours of time, trying a restore with auto set.

2.  In your test restores, you will probably find cases where there
is a folder/directory or more on a server that has jillions of files.
Hint is, if you just sit and watch the files scroll by in a text window,
it will be obvious when you hit this.  One example is Oracle log
and or cache files.  Probably DBA or responsible party has not been cleaning up!

(Some directories can get many similar named files per day, after a year
you have 365 spots on tapes to restore.  And that may be the only thing left
there after a few months.)  You just have to watch restore occasionally to see
this.
On some systems, eliminating these files can cut restore time in half on next
restore
test.  Personal experience here!

David Longo

>>> Nicholas Rodolfich <nrodolfich AT EJGH DOT ORG> 9/5/2007 4:05 PM >>>
Hello All,

Thanks for your help!

I work at a medical institution and there is a big push to get our DR
procedures in order. We will be using a Sungard facility for our DR
activities and we will have to restore 4-6 AIX servers (2 HA clusters 1
DB with 1Tb and one apps on another cluster) and 20-25 Wintel platforms
with various applications, DBs, Novell, etc.

We have a 3584 Library with 16 drives (8 LOT1 and 8 LTO2) and a 55A
with 4CPUs and 12Gb RAM. Gb NICs and will have like equipment at the DR
facility.

Some tests have revieled an extended time to restore due to many
volumes being loaded to perform a restore. I am looking for some
empirical strategies, white papers, advice, etc. to help me improve this
situation without loads of money of course! I am not ruling out any
method including backup sets, archive schedules, collocation, etc.. I
can't seem to find what I need from IBM websites regarding the gotcha's.
I need the "fastest way" shy of a $10M hot site strategy so I am going
to the mountain! I appreciate you help!!

Nicholas

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This message and any included attachments are from East
Jefferson General Hospital, and is intended only for the addressee(s), and may
include Protected Health (PHI) or other confidential information.  If you are
the intended recipient, you are obligated to maintain it in a secure and
confidential manner and re-disclosure without additional consent or as
permitted by law is prohibited.   If you are not the intended recipient, use of
this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  Please promptly
reply to the sender by email and delete this message from your computer. East
Jefferson General Hospital greatly appreciates your cooperation.

#####################################
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.