ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Messages ANS1228E and ANS4005E combination during backup

2007-09-01 10:49:45
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Messages ANS1228E and ANS4005E combination during backup
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 08:47:17 -0600
Are you certain the backup ends with RC 0? It should end with RC 4, to
reflect "files skipped". That is, the scheduler or command line should end
with RC 4.

Also, are you sure about the 5.4.1.0 client level? This sounds similiar to
(but probably not identical to) earlier APARs fixed at the earlier
versions. You can search the TSM support page (see my sig) for ANS4005E,
and check the "Solve a problem" checkbox.

Nominally ANS4005E indicates that the file existed at the time it was
scanned in preparation for backup, but when it came to actually backing up
the file, it no longer exists. However, I would not expect that for the
specific files you mention. As a sanity check, make sure those files still
exist (they should).

Use the command line client to try to narrow the scope of the problem. Is
it really during C: backup, or is it during system state backup? Do:

   dsmc backup systemstate

and see if the problem occurs. Also test

   dsmc backup systemservices
   dsmc i c:

to make sure those appear okay.

Are you using OFS? If so, try disabling it and see if the problem goes
away.

Try rebooting the machine (admittedly the "cop-out" suggestion...).

It also help to review the history of this problem and the machine on
which it occurs. Things to ask yourself include (but are not limited to):

- Does the problem occur on just one machine, some machiens, or all
machines? If multiple machines, are there any common factors abot these
machines, such as OS, fixpack, usage (e.g., they all are MS SQL servers),
client options set, TSM server, other software installed on the machines,
etc.

- When did the problem start to occur? Did the backup ever run correctly,
or has it failed since you installed TSM for the first time? If it ran
okay at one time, look for something that changed in the environment
between the last good backup and the first occurrence of the problem.

- Is there any other software running that might be interfering with TSM
operations? For example, antivirus products, OEM open file support
products, other backup products, and so on.

If all of the above still adds up to bupkis, contact IBM technial support
for further assistance. I would also suggest collecting the following in
advance:

- a SERVICE trace and command line console output that captures the
problem, e.g.:

   dsmc i c: -traceflags=service -tracefile=tsmtrace.txt > dsmc.out 2>&1

or

   dsmc backup systemstate -traceflags=service -tracefile=tsmtrace.txt >
dsmc.out 2>&1

- dsmerror.log

- client options file (dsm.opt)

- client options set definition (if node has one assigned to it)

- dsminfo.txt (NOT dsmmsinfo.txt) file created by running

   dsmc query systeminfo

- if problem occurs during system state backup, output from the following
Windows command line commands:

   vssadmin list writers
   vssadmin list providers
   vssadmin list shadows

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 08/31/2007
07:37:53 PM:

> Windows2003, TSM client 5.4.1.0
> TSM Server 5.3.4.0 on WIndows2003.
>
> This one client continually gets combinations of:
>
> 08/12/2007 03:00:38 ANS1228E Sending of object

'\\vmtntansa\c$\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE}'