ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication

2007-09-01 08:58:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication
From: Wanda Prather <wanda.prather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 07:55:57 -0500
"It depends".

Just another thing to think about:

Yes, it sounds cool to reduce the footprint of all those XP files if you
have hundreds of XP systems.

But, at a site where we were backing up about 200 desktops along with
Windoze severs, I sat down and actually spent a bunch of time looking at
what was really getting backed up (there's no quick and easy way to get
this info out of TSM.)

Those OS files, while annoying, are read-only (translation, only 1 copy
per client) and are actually a very small part of today's very large hard
drives.  At that particular site where I did the study, I calculated that
the OS files from 200 Windows systems made up less than 10% of the total
data stored in TSM.

Result:  Not the place to spend $ or effort in reducing backup footprint.

That's not to say that de-dup won't save you bunches of space somewhere
else; just that you gotta KNOW YOUR DATA to figure out what is worth
doing.

YMWV..