ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication

2007-08-30 03:11:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 03:09:09 -0400
When you say "losing TSM opps to de-dupe vendors," you must be talking
about de-dupe SOFTWARE vendors (Avamar, Puredisk, Asigra).  I don't see
how someone buying a de-dupe VTL to go with TSM would be considered a
lost TSM opportunity.

Unlike a de-dupe VTL that can be used with TSM, de-dupe backup software
would replace TSM (or NBU, NW, etc) where it's used.  De-dupe backup
software takes TSM's progressive incremental much farther, only backing
up new blocks/fragements/pieces of data that have never been seen by the
backup server.  This makes de-dupe backup software really great at
backing up remote offices.

The alternative is to put a complete backup infrastructure (server,
tape, disk, etc) at the remote site and have someone swap tapes out
there.  That's been the only answer for years.  Now, de-dupe backup
software allows you to back up relatively large remote offices with NO
backup infrastructure at the remote site.  That's nothing short of huge.

I know of a major trading firm, for example, that is now backing up
almost 300 remote sites to their central datacenter without putting any
backup infrastructure in any of them.  Since a 48 hour RTO was fine for
their remote offices, they do restores locally in the central datacenter
and Fed Ex the restored systems/drives to the remote office.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies