ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backup on VMWARE ESX

2007-08-29 09:11:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backup on VMWARE ESX
From: CAYE PIERRE <Pierre.Caye AT ALCATEL-LUCENT DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:08:06 +0200
Thanks everybody for your advices !

The purpose is to backup virtual machine with large disk space and databases.
The backup window is very short (when there is backup window) ; some virtual
machine will be running on 24/7 basis.

First I thought, classicly, to install nodes, tdp and so on virtual machine
level then to do LAN-free backup as usual.
But it is not possible to have any HBA on virtual machine level ! VMWARE can't
do that. So no LAN-Free !

An other solution is to backup vmdk but :
- I had advices that vmdk backup with online machine isn't very reliable
- I didn't know if, on esx level, it is possible to have HBA ?

I need to install :
- a baclient, which can work on Lan (Gigaethernet)
- tdp which need to work with large bandwidth network

A solution can be to build a dedicated network, with large bandwidth (trunking
of Gigaethernet if possible) between those Virtual machine and an external
machine with HBA and a storage agent so that I can make LAN-free using this
storage agent.

An other solution can be to snapshot vmdk, mount it on esx console (disk
expensive) then to back it up with the appropriate client on esx console level.

Did you make backup of vmdk with virtual machine online ? Paused ? Or offline ?
Did anyone has experience of vmdk backup of online virtual machines ?

Pierre