ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Looking for suggestions to speed up restore for a Windows server

2007-08-27 17:41:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Looking for suggestions to speed up restore for a Windows server
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:39:50 -0600
How about periodic Image backups of the file server volumes?  Couple
that with daily traditional TSM backups and perhaps you have something
that works out better at the DR site.

The problem is as you described it: lots of files to create.  Did you
observe that you were pecking through tapes, or was the bottleneck at
the file create level on the Windows box?  Or could you really tell?

Even if you create another pool for the directory data (which is easy to
implement) you would still have that stuff on many different tapes.
What about a completely new storage pool hierarchy for that one client?
And then aggressively reclaim the DR pool to keep the number of tapes at
a very small number.

I'd really like to know where the bottleneck really was.  If it's file
create time on the client itself, speeding up other things won't help.
If that's the case, then I like the image backup notion periodically.
Even if you did this once/month, the number of files that you would
restore would be fairly small compared to the overall file server.  And
the TSM client does this for you automagically so the restore isn't
hard.

And this also brings up the fact that a restore of this nature in the a
non DR situation probably isn't much better!

Thanks,

Kelly

Kelly J. Lipp
VP Manufacturing & CTO