ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication

2007-08-27 17:16:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:01:00 -0400
Curtis - I'm unclear on your terminology.  Are you equating "subfile"
to "block" level deduping?  To me, block level means block
boundaries, whereas subfile doesn't have the boundary
restriction.  Perhaps I interpret these words this way because of my
history.  To me, a block is a 4K chunk (or 1K or some fixed
amount).  But I am suspecting that this is not what you mean.

In fact, my impression was that some vendors deduped at a block level
(my defnition) and others at a subfile level, which to me is probably
more valuable but also probably more performance-costly to implement.

I've read lots of articles about this and talked with many
vendors.  I'll take a look at your article.  Thanks.

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521