ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication

2007-08-27 03:33:12
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication
From: Dirk Kastens <Dirk.Kastens AT UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:31:08 +0200
Hi,

Writing a de-dupe backup product isn't easy.  EMC bought Avamar and
Symantec bought Data Center Technologies to get their respective
products. I don't know of any other de-dupe companies for IBM to
acquire, so they'll have to write their own.  That may take them a bit
longer.

We're just testing a deduplication disk array from DataDomain with TSM.
The compression ratio is much less than promised by the sales people.
During the last 10 days of incremental backups we only achieved a ratio
of 2.6:1. The disk array is very expensive and for the money you can buy
more disks than you need without compression.

--
Regards,

Dirk Kastens
Universitaet Osnabrueck, Rechenzentrum (Computer Center)
Albrechtstr. 28, 49069 Osnabrueck, Germany
Tel.: +49-541-969-2347, FAX: -2470