ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Remote Bkups

2007-08-24 10:42:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Remote Bkups
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 09:40:48 -0500
Depends on what is causing the problem.  If it's one GIANT DB that is
causing the problem, this may not help.

But if the db's aren't too big, I've had good luck turning over the
backups to  SQL Enterprise Manager.  It's very easy to set up local
backups to disk.  You tell it to keep a minimum number of generations, say
2-3.

It creates flat file copies in the SQL /backups directory.
Then you let TSM back up the flat files.  When SQL purges the older
generations from the /backups directory, TSM still has a copy because the
filenames are unique.

If you need to restore a recent generation the DBA just uses the SQL
tools. If you need to restore an older generation, you restore the flat
file using TSM, then the DBA can use the SQL tool again.

You can also have the Enterprise manager back up different data bases on
different schedules.  Unimportant ones could be backed up every other day,
for example, to reduce the load.

You could also turn on COMPRESSION in the TSM backup client to reduce the
amount of data you have to transmit; in that case make sure you run your
backups of the flat files during a least-busy time for SQL, because it
takes more CPU to compress.

If the problem is that SQL is slow getting the backups done, this might
work better than what you are doing now.